Move In is right around the corner...
For the most accurate dates and times for this years move in please visit the Housing page.
Here are some things to think about while you prepare:
What's the basic move in process?
- Students and families drop off their belongings on the curb
- Only students go through the check-in line, fill out forms, and pick up room keys
- After unloading all of the items, the car can be moved to a designated garage or area. Remember, we're in the city, so the area near the halls is only for unloading.
- One person stays with the belongings, while the others move them to the room.
Alternatively some students choose to park and walk their belongings to the room.
Click the picture to go to our Blog for move in tips
This list is a quick reference for common items that are not permited. If you have any questions about specific items or policies please consult the Guide to Residence Living.
- Alcohol/alcohol paraphernalia (includes shot glasses)
- Any combustible items/ Explosives/ fireworks
- Candles/incense-nothing with a flame
- Darts and dart boards
- Drugs/drug paraphernalia
- Electrically amplified instruments, Drum sets
- Electric blankets
- Extension chords
- Firearms/guns(including BB, paintball, pellet)
- Grills (including G. Foreman grills, unless your room has a kitchen)
- Hot plates (unless your room has a kitchen)
- Knives (other than flatware)
- Multi Plug outlet (without surge protector)
- Open Coil cooking or kitchen appliances (Unless your room has a kitchen)
- Pets (except fish in no larger than a 10 gallon tank)
- Power tools
- Space heaters
- Toaster/Toaster Oven (unless your room has a kitchen)
- Water beds
- BE PREPARED. READ our information and follow those instructions.
- Contact your new roommate(s) using information provided on MyCharleston. Decide who will bring what to avoid duplication.
- Come at or during your assigned time. You cannot check in before your assigned time. If you check-in even an hour after your beginning time, you'll move in much easier.
- Have your College of Charleston ID or STUDENT ID number ready. You will get your ID during your orientation session.
Check in is more than just picking up your key. You'll be asked to read, fill out and sign a few forms before you can get your key and move in your belongings.
- Fill out the emergency contact information using the link from your move in email.
- Leave your parents and family members at the door. Only you can sign yourself in to your building. Once you've filled out the papers and gotten your key, then enlist their help to move in your belongings.
- Complete your Room Condition Report form online via MyCharleston. Instructions will be provided at check-in.
- BE PATIENT. We do our best to keep things moving but the truth is that move in day will be very busy and can be stressful. August is hot, and you’ll be excited about moving in. Keep a cool head and be patient.
Family and Friends
- BE PATIENT. Move in day is busy for everyone. We try our best to keep things calm and easy, so your patience is appreciated (by our staff and your student)!
- Let your student check in for him or herself. This is an important way to start them on their way here at CofC.
- Be supportive. Believe it or not, your student will be under some stress, be supportive of him or her.
Reminder from Residence Life Staff
- We've planned and trained for this day for months. We have developed our move in process to reduce the rush of traffic jams. By separating move in time by floors and buildings, lines will be shorter and move in will be easier for everyone.
We'll have our staff on hand to help speed up the process. We're all here to answer your questions too.
- Public Safety will help direct traffic and show you where to park. Don't forget your parking pass sent in the mail in late summer.
- College and community organizations will be volunteering to help carry belongings and give directions as well as provide a cool bottle of water.
- We are here to be supportive of students and families. Please see us if we can assist you!
Residents may pick up their room key during assigned check in times at the following places:Liberty Street Residence HallLiberty Street Residence Hall
|Assignment||Key Pick Up Location|
|01 Warren Place||10 Warren Place|
|10 Warren Place||10 Warren Place|
|20 Warren Place||10 Warren Place|
|Kelly House||Kelly House|
|McAlister Residence Hall||McAlister Residence Hall|
|Berry Residence Hall||Berry Residence Hall|
|2 Bull Street||Berry Residence Hall|
|4 Bull Street||Berry Residence Hall|
|6 Bull Street||Berry Residence Hall|
|8 Bull Street||Berry Residence Hall|
|24 Bull Annex||Berry Residence Hall|
|24 Bull House||Berry Residence Hall|
|Buist Rivers Residence Hall||Rivers Residence Hall|
|Rutledge Rivers Residence Hall||Rivers Residence Hall|
|70 Coming Street||Rivers Residence Hall|
|72 Coming Street||Rivers Residence Hall|
|College Lodge||College Lodge|
|298 Meeting Street||College Lodge|
|300 Meeting Street||College Lodge|
|Craig Residence Hall||Craig Residence Hall|
|90 Wentworth Street||Craig Residence Hall|
|George Street Apartment Complex||Liberty Street Residence Hall|
|Liberty Street Residence Hall||Liberty Street Residence Hall|
|McConnell Residence Hall||McConnell Residence Hall|
|28 Coming Street||Campus Housing Office (40 Coming St)|
|32 Coming Street||Campus Housing Office (40 Coming St)|
|34 Coming Street||Campus Housing Office (40 Coming St)|
|36 Coming Street||Campus Housing Office (40 Coming St)|
|38 Coming Street||Campus Housing Office (40 Coming St)|
|15 St. Philip Street||Campus Housing Office (40 Coming St)|
|17 St. Philip Street||Campus Housing Office (40 Coming St)|
|99 Wentworth Street||Campus Housing Office (40 Coming St)|
|101 Wentworth||Campus Housing Office (40 Coming St)|
|103 Wentworth||Campus Housing Office (40 Coming St)|
|105 Wentworth||Campus Housing Office (40 Coming St)|
|107 Wentworth||Campus Housing Office (40 Coming St)|