Frequently Asked Questions

For any questions concerning housing policies, assignments, or general residence hall information please consult the Housing Page FAQ


How can I meet people?

You can attend a variety of events both virtually and on campus.  Check out to see events on campus. You can also always reach out to your RA if you are unsure of where to start!

What if I am not getting along with my roommate?

We strongly encourage the roommates to first discuss problems among themselves. If the students feel that they are having a hard time working it out, they should contact the Resident Assistant (RA), Residence Hall Director (RHD), or the Residence Life Office for assistance. 

It is very noisy on my floor. What can I do?

Contact the Resident Assistant (RA) for the floor or the information desk in person or by phone to report the issue. You can find the phone number for the information desk on our contact us page.

How do I report a COVID violation?

Read about the COVID guidelines on our “Back on the Bricks” website.  Included on this page is a link to the reporting form.  If you are reporting a violation, please try to include as much detail as possible.

Why are we not allowed to have guests from our building visit?

In an effort to prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have restricted visitation for all residential students. It is important to us that you have a consistent place on campus where you can relax, not wear a face covering, and not worry about potential exposure to the coronavirus. We want your residential space to be a healthy and clean environment. This means that only the assigned residents of a particular suite/room/house are permitted in that suite/room/house.

I would like to change rooms, how can I do that?

We are not currently allowing room changes in an enhanced effort to reduce the risk of spread due to COVID-19.  We encourage you to reach out to your RA is you have any questions or having issues so that they can help!  Our RAs are the best resource for these situations and can help to set up/amend Roommate and/or Suitemate Agreements and talk through the situation. 

Where is the trash/recycling?

Trash and recycling is available in every residential hall, but the specific location within each building is different.  Check with your front desk or your resident assistant if you don’t know where to take it. Please make sure to follow all posted signage and do not leave your personal room trash in hallways or in common trash cans such as those in laundry rooms or lobbies.

What if a maintenance problem occurs?

For non-emergency services, the student should submit a work order form online through the New work order system, which can be found on your MyCharleston account. If you have any trouble completing a work order please contact your RA for assistance. The maintenance team assigned to the building will then handle the request on a priority basis as they come in. For emergency needs, the resident should contact the front desk of their building immediately!

My student seems homesick. What can be done to help?

Try not to encourage the behavior by calling them every day. Encourage the student to get more involved by joining campus organizations and attending programs. The student may wish to contact his/her RA for assistance.

If I have a physical disability which requires special housing, what should I do?

Submit your housing application, then contact the Center for Disability Services.  We will work with you to find a situation which will best accommodate your needs.

Where can I hang out with people and be socially distanced?

We encourage you to take advantage of our beautiful surroundings and explore the campus and Charleston! There are many nooks and crannies around this city that are perfect for some socially distanced fun. A few common spaces on campus to check out are the Cistern Yard, Rivers Green, behind SSMB, and the patio next to New Student Programs.

I lost my Cougar Card, how can I get it replaced?

For a Cougar Card replacement, you can go to Campus Services HQ located next to the Chick Fil A at the corner of Calhoun and St. Philip during business hours (M-F, 8:30am-5:00pm) and at Public Safety (89 St. Philip St.) after business hours. 

Are there any curfews in the residence halls?

No, resident students are not required to be in their residence halls at a specific time. However, we do have visitation policies and residents are always required to swipe their cougar ID prior to entry.

What about mail? Parking on-campus? Telephone services?

For answers to these questions, please contact:

For information about other services, please see our Auxiliary Services page.